Sunday, January 24, 2010

When the time traveller meets the lawyer...

January 20 & 21, 2010 (HTO's)

I actually didn't have big plans when I filed for a 2-day HTO last week. I just wanted some rest, as I always do from time to time, and I had an exciting book to finish just in case I get bored resting. The week before last, my date (from my earlier blog entitled "On the weekend that was... January 15-17") loaned me "The Time Traveller's Wife" by Audrey Niffegger and voila! I found a reason to stay at home and just be a slob for a couple of days.

What initially caught my interest was that this book was already adapted into a movie, played by Troy's Hector, Eric Bana, so it promised a good read.

Just to give you a preview:
"Henry DeTamble is a time traveler, although not by choice. A genetic mutation causes him to spontaneously travel through time, disappearing from view, leaving behind his clothes and possessions, and arriving naked in another time and another place. For the most part, this is a curse. Henry often has to turn to petty crime to feed and clothe himself when he travels, and must run from people, thugs, or the police. Eventually Henry returns to his present time, bringing only the bodily injuries he's suffered back with him. Sometimes he travels back in time and visits an earlier version of himself. One of the places to which he travels often is the meadow behind Clare's house, and throughout her younger years, Clare meets him there and falls in love with him." - Review by W. R. Greer

After finishing the book, I got the same satisfaction that I got when I read "P.S. I Love You" by Cecilia Ahern sometime in the past. Both had the same striking effect that tells you, "time is not a barrier" when celebrating the joys of love and romance. Now, I don't usually like reading romantic novels but I sometimes lapse into my quixotic side and I guess this was one of those few moments.

I especially liked the end of the story when Claire and Henry met again for the last time because it transcended the impossible... Well, just read the book and you'll understand what I mean. LOL.

January 22, 2010 (Back to the present.)

After that hiatus in romance-land, I was more than happy to get out of the house and level the overflowing emotions I usually get after finishing a book. My date and I went to Starbucks-Araneta to just hang out a bit then proceeded to Palawan Dos in Cubao.

I was really glad we went there because the performers were really hilarious and I had a really good time.

When we came in, there were two stand-up gay comediennes entertaining the crowd. They asked people to come up on stage and sing a song, but of course, they were not spared with the satirical harmless remarks along the way.

Afterwards, we were treated with their production number that included imitations of famous movie quotes and scripts, some song numbers and some lip-synching on the side. And all of the aforementioned were done with numerous costume changes.

The best part? My date actually knew the entertainment manager of the 3 Palawan bars and I got to meet one of their performers, the one impersonating Sarah Geronimo. It was a star-struck moment for me because they were really good. I almost asked for her autograph.

If you ever want to relax a bit, then I suggest that you visit the place. Tip: The production numbers are at its best during Friday and Saturday nights.

After the performance, the stage will then be transformed into a dance stage. Whew!!! The stage had some hot men in it dancing on top of it, topless!!!

I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK THERE AGAIN!!

January 23, 2010: I'm the designated driver

Saturday morning, Tita and Panget pushed through with their plans to go shopping at Divisoria and they begged me to drive them over there. Since I just recently borrowed new books to read from "my date", I just planned on waiting for them in the coffee shop near Divisoria.

Well, I sat down, opened my borrowed copy of "The Street Lawyer" by John Grisham and bam!!! Before I knew it, 3 hours have passed and Tita and Panget were done with their shopping at the same time that I finished the book.

It rarely fails for any of John Grisham's books to turn out to be another page-turner and this one was no exception. I was just a bit disappointed that the story was short because I would have liked for the story to drag on longer and culminate in an actual court battle between Michael Brock and Mordecai Green on one side, fighting for the rights of the homeless, and Arthur Jacobs with his firm Drake & Sweeney on the other side.

But still, the story was an entertaining breed of its own in the arena of US courtroom drama.

January 24, 2010: Back to work...

Well, it's the start of the new work week for me again so I'll get right on to it.

So, until the next weekend. This coming one presents some exciting possibilities because it the weekend after the salary. Hehehe.

I'll let you know how it turns out, OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment